Sunday, June 23, 2013

Sigur Ros - Kveikur

1. Brennisteinn
2. Hrafntinna
3. Ísjaki
4. Yfirborð
5. Stormur
6. Kveikur
7. Rafstraumur
8. Bláþráður
9. Var

I've been a massive Sigur Ros fan for a long time, having owned all their cd's and vinyl and them being one of my all time top listened too artists on last.fm before I lost my previous account. Although we had to wait 4 long years from their 2008 album to get a new one, Valtari, I still found that album to be a bit of a disappointment. While it typically followed SR's usual songwriting guild-lines and formula of ambient landscapes and majestic crescendos with Jonsi's sweeping vocals, I feel almost every fan of SR expected more after so long a wait. Something that changed SR's sound after their keyboardists departure, something that redefined the bands image and artistic development. With Kveikur, one year later, we receive that. This is without a doubt SR's most stunning album since ( ) or Takk.Vastly heavier and more epic sounding than any record they have made, Kveikur silences any critiques that say 'SR has lost it'. Every song is consistently good, though only a few songs are incredible such as the opener Brennisteinn and Stormur, as well as the heaviest song on the album, the title track, and the vast ambient peice Var. They rarely let up on the tempo, and sacrifice loud and busy climaxes for a more sustained sound. Non the less, long time fans of this band will love it I'm sure, and even new ones may not find much to complain about either.

2013, Iceland
Post-Rock, Dream Pop

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

 

Rise From the Ashes © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness