1. Unceasing Atmosphere
2. Game Over
3. Another Indie Fraud
4. Our Neighbours the Demons
5. Red Light / Shine On
6. Magazine (Edu's Coming)
7. Jellyfish
8. The Leaving Sun
9. The Fisherman and the Scientist
2. Game Over
3. Another Indie Fraud
4. Our Neighbours the Demons
5. Red Light / Shine On
6. Magazine (Edu's Coming)
7. Jellyfish
8. The Leaving Sun
9. The Fisherman and the Scientist
Post-Punk band Neon Lights debut LA✝E comes as a pleasant surprise 'by happenchance' pick up I noticed while browsing my typical music sites the other day. Intrigued by the Post-Punk, Shoegaze, Dream Pop tags, as I usually am, and the insanely amazing and eye catching cover art, I decided to give it a few spins and see what this was all about, and why there is a bit of hype surrounding it in the indie underground scene right now. Typically atmospheric, yet low key, and depressingly sorrowful sounding, this album captures what post-punk is usually all about, while not coming off as pretentious or overly cliche. While I'm more of a fan of the slower and more depressive driven song's on this album rather then the Indie Rock influenced, I didn't find one song to be bad in any sense, or a distraction. 'Unceasing Atmosphere', 'Jellyfish' and 'The Fisherman And The Scientist' are easily my favorite tracks, invoking massive emotional triggers with it's deep vocals and heart-churning tones and melodies. While these songs are straight up five star tracks, the overall strength of the album definitely fades for me a bit in the middle portion where I feel a bit of variety could have helped save it a bit rather than focusing more of noisy guitars and upbeat 'Brit Pop' style writing.
None the less, Neon Lights is a band to keep an eye on in the future, that may be a dominate force in a genre with semi mediocre acts struggling to get noticed. Justifying a 3.5/5 rating, I can honestly say I enjoyed this album, and the tracks I listed will definitely be played on repeat on my 'best tracks of 2013' playlist, it's just the overall experience of the album left me wanting more.
Available for free download on their bandcamp.
Spain, 2013
Post-Punk, Shoegaze, Dream Pop, Indie Rock




No comments:
Post a Comment